Application Process

First-time Applicants (age 16 and over):

  • Applicants for U.S. passports must be U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals.
  • All applicants MUST appear in person.
  • Applicants age 16 and over must personally sign their passport application.

Minor children under age 16:

  • Children under age 16 must apply in person, following the same procedure as first-time applicants.
  • Both parents must appear in person for minors under age 16. If one parent is unable to appear, additional documentation must be presented. Go to the U.S. Department of State website for more information on minors.

Adult Renewals (age 16 and over):

  • Most renewal applicants MUST renew by mail. Go to the U.S. Department of State website to confirm whether you must renew by mail. If you don't qualify to renew by mail, then you may make an appointment with our office by calling (319) 467-0153.

Schedule an Appointment

The passport office is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. You must make an appointment.

We are closed during university holidays.

What to Bring

Fill out the passport application form.

  • First-time Applicants: You will need a completed, but unsigned, passport application (Form DS-11) for first-time applicants. You should complete the form before coming to the Passport Office, but do not sign the form until you meet with an agent. Note: This form allows you to apply for a Passport Book, Passport Card, or both. Decide which is best for you.
  • Adult Renewals: Most applicants who were last issued an adult (10-year) passport MUST renew by mail using Form DS-82. If you don't qualify to renew by mail, then you may make an appointment with our office.
  • Children/Minor Renewals: All children under age 16 must apply for a passport in person with two parents or guardians using Form DS-11. You cannot renew your child's passport using Form DS-82. Passports for children under age 16 are only valid for 5 years.

Provide one of the following:

  • A certified birth certificate from the country or state in which you were born. Hospital certificates and photocopies are not acceptable. Secondary evidence is required for non-U.S. birth certificates.
  • A Certificate of Naturalization
  • A Certificate of Citizenship
  • A previously issued, fully valid U.S. Passport Book or Passport Card (can be expired, but cannot be damaged)

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Go to the U.S. Department of State website for more information on Citizenship Evidence.

You must present a physical, government-issued photo identification document (ID) when submitting Form DS-11 if you are:

  • 18 or older
  • The parent or guardian identifying an applicant under age 18

We cannot accept digital IDs. If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs, please present a combination of at least two secondary IDs.

For a full list of primary and secondary IDs, visit the Photo Identification page on the U.S. Department of State website.

You must provide one photo with your passport application. Most pharmacies (i.e. CVS, Walgreens) provide passport photo services. We strongly suggest that you have a business that offers photo services take your photo and for you and not to take one yourself.

Photo must have been taken in the last 6 months and comply with all U.S. Department of State photo requirements. Visit the U.S. Department of State passport photo website for more information.

  • Bring a check or money order made out to the “U.S. Department of State” for the passport application fee(s).
  • Bring a check or money order made out to “University of Iowa Passport Office” for the passport execution fee.

Calculate fees here.

Tip: You can get a money order/cashier's check from any U.S. Post Office location, from a bank, or from many grocery stores.